Sunday, May 09, 2010

On Being (Unexpectedly) Understood.

“The problem is – I have to be at The Globe at 8.30 on Friday morning”.

For I am going to Arsenal Fan’s house for election night where we intend to eat pizza and drink wine and make slurs on Conservatives. And undoubtedly stay up all night watching constituencies we can’t place on a map declare their results. Which can’t exactly be considered conducive for being functional the next day.

“Then - you should go to bed”.

I realise instantly there is something slightly wrong here. Namely I am not the one being sensible. I shake my head. We haven’t – as far as I am aware – slipped into a different dimension without my noticing.

“But I know I won’t be able to leave”.

I’m not good at leaving even under normal circumstances. I think the distinct possibility that Friday will bring George Osbourne as Chancellor would mark the event as being abnormal circumstances.

“By that time you’ll have voted. Everyone will have voted.”

The voice is balanced, reasonable.

“So – you can’t change the outcome. Which means - you should go to bed”.

I realise that this makes perfect, rational sense. Me watching the results cannot counter those votes cast in favour of the Conservatives. Or how crappy I will feel the following day. But it doesn’t mean I’m actually going to buy such rationality.

Time for honesty.

“I’ll be too scared to go bed”.

There’s a slight pause. I sense that at the other end of the phone there is some degree of eye rolling taking place. What can I say – if the proverbial shoe were on the other foot I’d be rolling my eyes too.

Then I hear a laugh. Not one directed at me, but a laugh in conspiracy with me.

“I suppose this is you – and you did feel the need to queue for seven hours to get the final Harry Potter”.

I laugh. Have I, somewhere in the midst of the Potter and the politics and the waiting up all night for odd things, just been summed up in some indelible way?

It's my turn for a pause.

“Yes, yes I did”.

12 comments:

Val said...

i understand this absolutely. But then, I would.

Stephen said...

You were not the only one who was sufficiently scared of waking up to a Conservative government that they couldn't sleep - my partner was, too.

Shona said...

Another sitting up for election night ... and queuing at midnight for HP7 to come out!

Just sitting here now wondering why oh why is he opting for Osbourne as Chancellor?!

韋于倫成 said...

More haste, less speed...................................................

茂慧 said...

Thanks ~ ~ I will come back yo~................................................................

健豪 said...

Joy often comes after sorrow, like morning after night...................................................

家谷 said...

好棒的地方 我一定要常來~~~^^~........................................

ShilaLong嘉雯 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。..................................................

孝齊孝齊 said...

喜歡你的部落格,留言請您繼續加油.................................................................

淑慧 said...

Man proposes, God disposes...................................................................

佳燕 said...

Poverty tries friends.....................................................................

韻玉 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。....................................................................