Friday, February 20, 2009

On Being Nearer To Thirty Than To Twenty

On Being Nearer To Thirty Than To Twenty

"I've given you a proper wine glass, now that the boys have gone" Surfer Girl says, the red wine already in my hand.

It is the evening after the night before and there is now just me, Surfer Girl and the remnants of last night's wine and Indian takeaway.

"Beakers for the boys, wine glass for me". It sounds about right.

"I don't know what that says about them..." Surfer Girl laughs.

"Well, there was the moment when [Breakfast Club Boy] was sitting on the Pilates ball holding his beaker and it made me feel old because all I could think about was how we were going to get the red wine out of the carpet when he spilt it". It is somehow shaming to admit.

"I know!" exclaims Surfer Girl. "I was thinking - salt? White wine?"

"Exactly! And whatever it was, we'd have had to do it then!". I pause. "This is what happens isn't it? We end up talking about how to get red wine out of a carpet..."

"As we sit on a sofa, blankets around us..."

"Watching tv where overweight people get told to eat less..."

"Whilst we eat chocolate".

I look down at myself, realising in the process how content I am to be doing this. I realise that Surfer Girl is doing the same.

We look at each other.

"We're going to have to have a party to get over this, aren't we?"

No comments: