Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wherein I talk about Doctor Who without mentioning David Tennant

Wherein I talk about Doctor Who without mentioning David Tennant

Dear Mr Stephen Moffat,

Hello Mr Moffat. We haven't met yet. I'm Corinne. You may well receive future blog letters from me so I thought I'd get in nice and early whilst you're still re-arranging your new desk and taking down the pictures of Dougie McFly.

For some background - let it be known, I have been a long time fan of Mr Russell T Davies - though he is yet to respond properly to my repeated requests (and indeed campaign) to be the new companion in Doctor Who (undoubtedly I shall write to you about this some time after the end of the season) - so there is, obviously, a little tinge of sadness that he is stepping down from Doctor Who. I have doubted him a number of times (who, back in 2004, thought casting Billie Piper was a good idea? No one but Chris Evans and RTD, that's who. And look how that turned out) but each time he's hit it right back at me. RTD - he did good.

But you, Mr Moffat. You've got a bit of - do not blush now - soul in your writing. Your episodes, they've scared me, made me laugh and made me cry. You created perhaps the most perfect 40 minute tv love story for the Doctor. I am eagerly anticipating your two-parter this season. In the way that geeky Doctor Who fans do - I've been waiting for the moment when you'd get this job. After all, in that wonderful spoof of yours, you not only let me see what Hugh Grant might be like as the Doctor but you also summed up everything that is great, and important, and wonderful about the series:

"Doctor, listen to me. You can't die, you're too nice. Too brave, too kind and far, far too silly. You're like Father Christmas, the Wizard of Oz, Scooby Doo, and I love you very much. And we all need you and you simply cannot die!...He was never cruel and never cowardly, and it'll never be safe to be scared again".

Somehow I think we're going to get on.

love Corinne.x

No comments: