Sunday, September 09, 2007

Good Riddance

Good Riddance.

It is 2.00am.

"Right, this one's for the tour!" Former Soap Star proclaims.

I hear the opening chords and, involuntarily, inhale sharply.

Chords that take me to a blog, to a pub in York and me shouting out mid-song, and then back further, deeper, to a room in the bowels of St Anne's, my head slumped slightly, with someone who is now blurred playing the guitar and my knowing I would always remember.

"I heart this song!" It comes out spontaneously, wrapped with my own memories and tonight's wine.

Rosalind looks at me.

"I heart this too!" she exclaims.

"Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road"

We lapse into silence, everyone in the kitchen listening to the song.

I mouth the words, not wanting to miss a second.

Former Soap Star perched on the windowsill, laptop on knee, leaning out of the open window, singing.

Actually Welsh Actor cooking, working his way through ingredients that are almost at our sell by date.

Oxonian, slightly out of focus, opening another bottle of wine.

"It's something unpredictable but in the end is right"

Irish Actor, still battling this morning's hangover, but with a glass of red wine nonetheless.

C, laid across what passes for a sofa, eyes closed, playing air guitar.

I let my eyes linger, checking to see if he knows the words.

"Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial"

He is word perfect, as I always knew he would be. It strikes me that, without the knowing vanity, this is him at his most beautiful.

Curled slightly in the chair, sleepy, is Rosalind, quietly singing.

And me, a tell-tale red-wine stain on the right of my top.

I start to count the wall of empty wine bottles, the badges of this week's adventures, but stop because there are too many and there is not enough time.

It is still dark outside but I know that will not last for much longer.

There are not even enough chords left in the song.

"I hope you had the time of your life"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was interesting to read about someone else's experiences of linked music and memories. (I'm sure if Proust had lived today he would have found that CDs can be just as evocative as madeleines) I have always done this too. The worst thing is when it all goes horribly wrong and a song that you love can never be heard again without a tiny piece of your heart breaking!

Corinne said...

I think I've always felt a strong connection between music and memories - even my earliest memories seem to have an inbuilt soundtrack, often for very specific moments that flare up the instant I hear one of the songs. As I've gotten older it's something that's intensified rather than abated. And you are very right - there is one song in particular that I cannot listen to without crying!