Saturday, May 05, 2007

This is me. I am left in charge of public buildings.

This is me. I am left in charge of public buildings.

I open my eyes and look at my bedside clock. It blinks at me.

3:30am.

This is not good. Not good at all.

I move and look down at myself. I am still wearing my dress (though I have thought to take off my shoes). I am not under the covers. My handbag is somewhere to my right.

There is a decision to be made. I need to go to bed. I have to go to work tomorrow.

There is no choice; I must get changed.

I stand up with all the effort that I can muster. Quickly I wish I hadn't as my head swims. I stand for a moment, unsteady wondering if it is worth all of this effort. Maybe I should just keep my clothes on and save hassle in the morning.

But I don't.

I undo the zip of my dress. I move to pull my dress off. Resolutely it stays on.

Pause.

I try again.

It does not budge.

I try to wiggle it off. It is not moving. More wiggling. More not moving. The panic rises that I am 24 years old and stuck in my dress.

What if I can't get out of it? Am I going to have to cut myself free? Worse still, am I going to have to get someone to cut it for me?

[It strikes me here that it is probably a good thing that I am alone, this moment resolutely did not need to be shared].

I try and reaosn why my dress, that came off before I lost some weight, will not come off now. It is too much for my brain. I am frazzled.

I peel off every possible item of clothing that I can get to which might be hindering the dress's passage.

Still nothing.

I stand. Half naked. Dress half off, half on. It is no good.

I stamp my foot and start to cry.

4 comments:

cat said...

I have so been there! hugs, Cx

Corinne said...

I'm very, very glad that it's not just me!

Anonymous said...

but are you still wearing it????

Corinne said...

Thankfully, no. :-P

I eventually managed to pull it over my head in a very undignified manner.