Saturday, March 10, 2007

One of the best questions I've heard this week...

One of the best questions I've heard this week...

"What Good Are The Arts?"

Though mainly my other questions have been about where the toilets are and if I'm contiguous and stuff, so I'm not sure how much competition there's been.

I'm about two thirds of the way through the book and it's had me in raptures, and in knots, and in an almost fit of despair. It's also made me laugh whilst still leaving me room to get emphatically indignant. Which, in layman's terms, means I'm muchly enjoying it.

I suspect that I will return to the book and its subject matter - because its central question is one that I think anyone who cares about the arts - in any respect - needs to answer. When there is global poverty, and war, and famine what good are the arts? I need not go that far - outside the very theatre I work in there are people selling the Big Issue. What does that say about us? I will - to my last breath - argue that the arts do matter. But why? And how?

On an almost related note - I'd direct you here. Regardless as to what you think of the project I think it raises some very interesting points. And yes, Distant Aggravation has bought a word.

No comments: