Monday, January 15, 2007

Well, we're both from Leeds

Well, we're both from Leeds

I'm in the always curious position of saying goodbye to someone I have known for a period of time, but who I know I will never see again. I'm never quite sure what is to be said in these situations; 'have a nice life' seems rather bland. But there has been coffee and cake and i-tunes vouchers so I feel at least the occassion has been marked.

I'm saying my final goodbye and apologising for not making T's leaving party because it is my birthday and I will be in London (not seeing Boys with Guitars in Stoppard's Rock 'n' Roll) when talk turns to T's novel.

"I don't know if you've got it but I emailed you my novel"

I nod "Yes - I got it, I've read the first three chapters, I'm enjoying it"

I do not add that I quoted a line I liked* to Nik and Dean and they remained distinctly unimpressed.

"It would be great if you could send me any comments"

Suspecting that T doesn't know the extent of my red pen skills when it comes to people inviting comments on their written work** I smile.

"Of course, if you don't mind"

"It would be great"

"I'll definitely send you them". I do not tell him I've made notes already because I have OCD and I make notes on everything I read.

Maybe it's my obvious enthusiasm but T's resolve seems to momentarily flicker.

"It was pointed out to me that sending you my novel wasn't a good idea".

"By who?" I'm slightly shocked, though already wondering if I'm going to have to keep my promise of taping Dean's mouth when it comes to him sharing facts about my life to people I work with. After all they don't need to know just how anal I can be. It doesn't really tally with the rock and roll, socialite reputation I've been carefully cultivating***.

"[History Boy]"

Now it's my turn to momentarily flicker.

"Why?"

"He said that sending your novel to Corinne was like sending your essay on politics to Jeremy Paxman".

I giggle.

"He might have a point".

* "Starbucks is like McDonalds but without the irony".

** Just ask Nik and Gilly what happened when they sent me their essays.

***Don't laugh, people have said both of these things. They also seem to think that I'm posh though, so you can see where this might fall down.

No comments: