Thursday, January 11, 2007

All The World's A Stage

All The World's A Stage

Before I became Duty Manager at the WYP I applied to be a Venue Manager for the Shakespeare Schools Festival; the reasons for this were threefold:

1. I love Shakespeare. You should know this and if you don't where have you been. And one of the things that I repeatedly come up against in my evangelical quest to convert the entire world is that if the teaching of Shakespeare at high school level is poor then there is nothing I can do. So Shakespeare as interactive, living, breathing drama in professional theatres = a very good thing indeed.

2. I can't deny the fact I am attempting to accumulate CV points. I may be hopelessly in love with Shakespeare but I am not without less pure motivations.

3. You get a free t-shirt. And I'm all about the free t-shirts. Especially when they come in skinny fit.

As it turns out the Venue Director for the WYP is Alan, last seen telling me to write plays about nice people, so despite the fact that everyone [not least me] has been confused all week as to whether I'm working for the WYP or the SSF I think it's proved a good decision. And you've got to love a good decision that comes with a funky t-shirt.

But if I needed more confirmation of this it came when I popped my head in to see the end of one of the sessions in the rehearsal block.

"I'm taking this very seriously, so seriously I'm going to clean my shoes and wear my new funky pants"

The girls listening giggle, one of the boys voices that this is providing too much information.

"There's no such thing as too much information when it comes to my pants - you just don't know this because you haven't seen them".

More giggling whilst more boys try and maintain faces of mild disgust.

"So you need to take this seriously. The sound of 750 people clapping is a wonderful sound. It'll be fantastic. And I'll be wearing a suit so I'll look handsome".

Suit aside, if this doesn't sell Shakespeare to these teenagers then I don't know what will.

No comments: