Sunday, September 03, 2006

And the waves broke on the shore

And the waves broke on the shore

I walk down the sidestreet, past the amusement arcades with their shabby fronts and neon signs, until I reach the front. The beach, predominantly made up of pebbles, is largely empty - a couple huddle together, a girl and her father attempt to fly a kite and an old woman with two plastic bags seems to be combing the beach for forgotten debris.

I find a spot at the sea wall where I can look out uninterrupted by passing three year olds or over-enthusiastic spaniels and, brushing my hair out of my eyes, reach into my pocket and press 'shuffle'. As I look out to the sea the opening bars of a song which seems to have made its way firmly into my current emotional playlist fills my ears.

'Slow down, lie down, remember it's just you and me'

The early evening sun streams into my eyes, the wind rearranges my hair and the song, those words, continue.

'sure I can accept that we're going nowhere, but one last time let's go there'

I watch the girl's kite trace a pattern in the sky before returning to the rhythm of the sea as it starts its inevitable march towards us.

The song finishes and all I can hear is the waves. The sound builds as music and surroundings envelop each other so that I'm not too sure where one starts and the other finishes.

Then those familiar chords mingle and I realise at once the source of my confusion -

'Someday you will find me caught beneath the landslide of a Champagne Supernova in the sky'

The old woman steps into the path of the girl with the kite. They exchange words I don't need to hear. The kite thuds to earth.

'wipe that tear away now from your eye'

Squinting in the sun I return to the sea. For miles and miles I can see nothing but this deep blue as it lulls me into its motion, speaking louder than I ever could.

The song finishes and I'm assaulted with an instantly familiar intro. Its immediacy makes my heart soar in one deft movement.

'My tongue still misbehaves and it keeps digging my own grave'

The kite makes a complicated solo dance in the sky.

'My hands open'

The old woman finds a page of discarded newspaper.

'And my eyes open'

The couple huddle closer.

'I just keep hoping that your heart opens'

The waves beat their path; I can barely breathe. And the music and the sea and the moment they're telling me all I need to know. I'm going to be ok.

Entirely incapable of hiding my smile I turn around and retrace my footsteps.

5 comments:

Nik said...

"We’ve got the roots in music my rock
In the storm that blows
It’s the anchor that holds
Play me some music
Music my rock
In the storm that blows
It’s a shelter I know"

Kay Richardson said...

YES. I like. (I don't like kites, though).

Corinne said...

Nik - that's beautiful.

Kay - confession time, I've never flown a kite :-O

Nik said...

It's lyrics from a song by Bedouin Soundclash, one of my new favourite bands :) Except they're not really new, I actually have to admit Radio 1 discovered them before me...about a year ago. Bah.

gayle said...

Oooh I saw them support someone at Lancaster Sugar House a while ago (can't for the life of me think who they supported though lol).