Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Sun Is Shining, There's Sport On Tv, And Where Am I?

The Sun Is Shining, There's Sport On Tv, And Where Am I?

It is probably safe to say that there was very little that was pleasant about watching the Henman v Federer match yesterday for a Henman fan. There was even less that was pleasant when I wasn't so much watching it as waiting for the BBC website to update its game by game almost-blog. Because - much to my chagrin but entirely due to my own ineptitude - I have found myself working during Wimbledon. For similar reasons (ie. down right ineptitude) I almost found myself working when I had a prior date with Undressing Mr Darcy last week, and did find myself working when England played Sweden. Which involved me seeing half of the match while my Duty Manager cheered for Sweden. Equally I'm working on Saturday afternoon and have managed to agree to go for drinks with D (who doesn't like football) afterwards (in honour of it being the last proper day of the WYP season). So bye bye En-ger-land v Portugal for me. Which might be just as well as I almost had to breathe into a paperbag in the last match.

But back to Henman. Not pleasant. But not terrible either. Because it wasn't knife-edge five set stuff. It was clear he was on his way out from the beginning of the second set. Not that I knew this as I left the office when Federer was 4-3 with a break up and arrived home (spending the journey trying to re-tune the car radio into Five Live. It refused and provided me with every local station from Century in Newcastle down to BBC Radio Sheffield instead) to discover that it was 5-0 in the second set. Game, set and not quite match.

But the point of this - other than to wallow - is to comment on the BBC almost-blog guy's commentary. Because - even when Tim was losing - it made me chuckle. My favourite quote? Possibly "Heman has a large posse in the VIP section - though perhaps the word "posse" has never been so inappropriate". Or possibly in reaction to a winning shot the knowledge that some "middle aged women celebrated by taking long distance photos with small pocket cameras". Look, it made me chuckle. And if you knew the Henman "posse" you'd chuckle too.

6 comments:

cat said...

I have to work during Wimbledon too. less through ineptitude, more through financial necessity and contractual obligation (though I believe there is a woman in IT who takes this fortnight as annual leave each year, but to be honest I'd rather go to Cuba in January - so I am). with so-called "flexi-time" not being quite as flexible as the name might suggest I have also become a devotee of the ball by ball blog action.

here's a highlight from earier;
Agassi has two chances to break but can't take either, Seppi rallying well to force him to extend his stay on Court No 1 - and why not? It's about time these men earned their extra prize money...

refering back to this story of course

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5116674.stm

cat said...

Although it's difficult to be sure from this distance, Murray's Maori symbol looks a like a Hei-Matau - a stylised fish hook that represents strength, prosperity, fertility and a great respect for the sea. It's not going out on too much of a limb to suggest that the first two of those attributes would probably be more useful than the others in his current predicament.

Corinne said...

It's genius! I'm loving this guy's commentary!

Forget 3am phone calls from Sean Connery - it's right now that Murray needs James Bond, or at the very least Q with some sort of cunning tennis-related gadget.

cat said...

The frown on Murray's face is tremendous - as if his mum had asked him to tidy his bedroom just when he's off out to hang around bus stops with similarly disconsolate teenage chums.

cat said...

gutted again :(

Corinne said...

I'm going to give up watching sport I think.