Thursday, May 18, 2006

"Put Sufjan Stevens on and we'll play your favourite song"

"Put Sufjan Stevens on and we'll play your favourite song"

Last up on stage on Saturday night was the big one. As you would kind of hope, because it would be a wimper rather than a bang to go out with Liberty X or something. Yep, up on stage we had those great rockers Primal Scream.

Only I didn't see more than a good sixty seconds of their set in the smaller circus tent because, hey, I'm predictable and however good 'Country Girl' is there is no way that it was going to make me miss the boys on Main Stage. Oh no. Because last on there we had Snow Patrol. And you already know how much I'm loving 'Eyes Open'. And if you don't where have you been? I love it to a worrying degree and am not even going to look and see how many times I've played it on my laptop. Let's just say enough that it automatically comes up when I open media player. Morning. Afternoon. Night. There is no moment that isn't fitting for a blast of the Patrol.

So a lot was riding on this performance. Perhaps not quite the future of humanity but at least the future of how much reverence I place on the album. Which, I'm sure you'll agree, is almost as important. What would happen if they couldn't sing, if the lead singer was just another boy with big hair and tight trousers, if - whisper - I didn't like them? How would I recover? How would Dundee recover? Because that would be it. The weekend would be fractured, my heart would be broken and I'd spend the rest of my time in Scotland in deep mourning.

And then I heard those twiddly guitars emanate from the stage. If you've heard any Snow Patrol at all, you'll know the twiddly guitar bits I mean given that they're in every song to some degree. They are Snow Patrol. I don't know what their music would be without them. They'd certainly struggle for intros. These particular twiddly guitar bits belonged to 'Spitting Games' and they make you bounce. They have bounce written on them. So I bounced. And I didn't need to fear or be afraid because those twiddly guitar bits were telling me exactly what I wanted to hear. They were screaming 'THIS. IS. GOOD.'. And my bouncing was yelling back 'oh YES it is'.

The Patrol had the good grace to perform two of my favourite songs on the new album - including the soaring 'Chasing Cars' which has very little to do with chasing cars and more to do with being very beautiful indeed and which made me feel wonderfully emotional. Wonderfully emotional in a way that had I had time to take a breath I might have needed a tissue. But between the new songs there were the favourites - 'Chocolate' and, emphatically, 'Run'. And when they sung 'Run' - which joined us all together again, arms waving, voices raised, the entire floor cascading as one - I thought they'd pulled a Razorlight and blown it. Where could they go from here? What could be better than that?

The answer? Their latest single 'You're All I Have'. When it was over and the band had left the stage to be replaced, momentarily, by Colin and Edith, Colin said that it was possibly 'the greatest One Big Weekend moment ever'. Now I'm not usually one to align myself with Mr Murray but this time. Oh yes. Because I felt it. Everyone in the tent felt it. We were screaming the words, arms aloft, knowing that this was it, there was nowhere else to go and that everything was within this song. The day rested on Snow Patrol, on 'You're All I Have', on the thousands of people in the tent. And we all passed. Gloriously. Triumphantly. And there was just a little bit of magic within it.

No comments: