Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Why writers should be kept far, far away from the rehearsal room

Why writers should be kept far, far away from the rehearsal room

Before I start I would like my dedication noted - as I am blogging from the WYP. This, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that I have a couple of hours to kill and do not fancy wandering into Leeds having already had a bit of a wander which I was unceremoniously pulled out of by a call saying 'REM's Back Catalogue' was being rehearsed earlier than planned and could I quick step it to the rehearsal room.

So good points from the rehearsal: hey, it reads quite well and apparently has lots of energy. One of the actors is perfect.

Bad points: The two of the four line speeches are not reading as well as I imagined. This was put down to tiredness on the part of the actors rather than my writing, which is a good thing as they're kind of the emotional heart of the piece and I would be buggered otherwise. Apparently I shouldn't panic as there are more rehearsals tomorrow. Because of over running there will be no music. Which is a dissapointment as my play is set at a gig. And, finally, because of the energy of the piece it's being put on towards the end of the evening during the showcase to lift people up after the more static pieces. Which means that I cannot sneak out half way through the evening. Not that I would, of course, but I'd like to think that I might have that option should I require a trip to the bar.

Odd points: One of the actresses saying that it was doing exactly what it says its doing with no greater meaning. Which - I can honestly say - has never been said about my writing. And - to be honest - I wouldn't say that exactly about this piece. I may have to point out the fact that it is purposely set on 6th July 2005 for a reason. What happens before and after that day is very important.

So, I think that can generally be summed up as being a pretty typical writerly response. But I may have to prop up the bar a bit tomorrow lest I combust through fear.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Imagine... What would happen if you met your music hero?


In collaboration with BBC writersroom, BBC Radio 2 has launched a national competition for new drama, asking writers to imagine an encounter with their music legend and use it to create an imaginative, original drama.

You can meet anyone, be anyone, go anywhere, do anything... Turn
your dramatic ideas into a radio drama between three and ten minutes long and it could be broadcast on the Mark Radcliffe show.

There are a number of Q&A sessions being held nationwide for people
to get tips on writing radio drama from a BBC producer and an
experienced writer.

To sign up for a session and get more details on the competition,
visit the Radio 2 Imagine website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/events/imagine