Thursday, January 12, 2006

What's In A Name?

What's In A Name?

There are certain things you get used to when you grow up with a name that doesn't crop up that often. The bits where you become 'Coreen' or 'Cu-rin', or have the male spelling thrust upon you (my most recent disquiet is for the fact that on the WYP contacts list I'm 'Corrin') aren't great, and are probably only matched by the inability of various relatives to spell your name. But you get used to this by about the age of five, accept it as part of your package in life and bask in the enormous ranting potential it brings you. So you can enjoy the other bits - the bits where it marks you out, where - as every ego as developed as mine requires - it makes you a little different. And people tend to remember you, even if they can't spell it for all the galaxy chocolate in the world. And I like it that way.

So imagine my distress at the appearance in various publications (and the Jules Holland show) of a certain Corinne Bailey Rae. And not only does it look like she's going to be famous with my name she's also from Leeds and comes complete with an English degree. Talk about stealing my thunder. Because until this point I've been very happy with the only notable famous Corinnes being: Corin Redgrave (doesn't count, he's a man), Corinne from Swing Out Sister (doesn't count, she's only famous in Japan now), photographer Corinne Day (doesn't count, Vogue famous is too exclusive) and Madame de Stael's Corinne (doesn't count, she's fictional). If I remember correctly there was also a Greek poetess named Corinne. All of which I approve of. Because none of them are are swooping in and stealing my status. Never mind that CBR is four years older than me and hence got in with the name thing first. This is not a rational feeling, subject to normal laws and regulations. Oh no. This is completely irrational.

And I love the design of her website. Life is not fair.

7 comments:

gayle said...

I feel your pain, I'm always slightly miffed when I come across another Gayle.
And as for the spelling thing, that drives me up the wall. Yes, I have two fairly complicated names, but I managed to learn how to spell them by the age of five so why is it so hard for fully grown adults to make the effort? Grrr.
Rant over.

Billygean said...

*Puts down her criticism that she picked up purely because it was by Corin Redgrave in astonishment*

Val said...

If its any consolation, I've never heard of her!

Jen said...

I always think of you when I hear the single. I really liked the first single but not to keen on the new one.

Of course I can't possibly empathise about the name thing as I have always met lots of Jennifers. In fact my neighbour across the road is called Jennifer and up until last April my next-door neighbour was also Jennifer.

louise said...

I never heard of her. But I'm sure your a better Corinne!!

Corinne said...

Thank you all for not laughing in the face of my name-theft issues *rolls eyes*

And Gilly - that's freaky. I'm a little worried that as I spend so much time reading your blog I'm morphing into you.

Billygean said...

Yes... I know that feeling well! And you're updating so regularly that I don't worry you see me on your statcounter appearing on the hour when you have not updated... My stalking is not in vain!