Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Go Out With Wet Hair

Go Out With Wet Hair

I'd been looking forwarding to FOH-ing 'My Mother Said I Never Should' for a couple of reasons. Firstly it isn't Twelfth Night and as partial as I am to a bit of Shakespeare and some comedy haircuts this does wear a little thin when you end up seeing the second half of the play three times in a row. Shipwreck, what shipwreck? Secondly Mother has what is officially - and by officially I mean decided by me - the best advertising campaign of any of the productions at the WYP this season. The postcards and posters basically proclaimed slogans that your mother may well have told you never to do. The most popular? The bright blue postcard stating 'Snog Boys'. It's marketing genius, everyone wants them for the comedy value.

Given these factors I probably should have been prepared for the production not to live up to expectation. Or at least be more on the level of the 'Eat With Your Mouth Open' pea-green postcards. From the moment that it started however I knew it had lived up to its hype. Because if its a good play then it is also an incredibly clever, intensely theatrical production. Props descend from the ceiling, babies become sheets blowing in the wind, the grass/carpet is rolled up midway through the first act by the actresses. It's the kind of production that makes you dizzy with the possibilities of theatre. And indeed the audience's willingness to believe in the world created in front of them.

If the play, at 16 years of age, feels a little dated then it still has something to say, something which the sheer vigour and enthusiasm of the production seems to have pushed to the forefront.

I left the WYP, just a few minutes short of what would have been a free taxi, bathed in the afterglow. My recreational drug of choice had struck again.

11 comments:

billygean.co.uk said...

I feel I may be being thick, but I have little idea what that was about!

What is FOH-ing, wet hair, comedy haircuts? Did you see twelfth night?

Confused Billygean

Nik said...

i was about to ask what FOH meant? clearly the telepathy broke down somewhere.

Val said...

I understood it - I know what FOH-ing is - but then, I would! Having read that, I want to see this play!!

Nik said...

OH I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS! yay, i'm smart. i just figured it out. it means front of house, doesn't it? if it doesn't, i will now look very stupid...

cat said...

I knew it, and I'm not even a Theatre Snob (let the records show)!
Cx

Corinne said...

It does indeed mean Front of House (taking people's tickets, selling programmes & ice cream and telling off noisy school children in the theatre itself).

Billygean - the comedy haircut was because Sir Andrew in the production has the best quiff I've seen, ever. The wet hair is because it is something my mother said I never should go out with it. And I saw twelfth night last week (and the week before) but only the second half as - unless we swap between ourselves - we only see either the first/second half during a shift.

Nik said...

yeh like i believe that cat!

gayle said...

I want a Snog Boys postcard!

Penny said...

I keep reading reviews and thinking "I must go and see that." It's a shame the hubby is 30 now as we no longer go and get the cheapie tickets as we did when we were first together.

You must let me know when is the best time to go (cheapness/availability of tickets).

Corinne said...

Gayle - I may have 'liberated' some of the postcards. ;-)

Penny - as a rule of thumb Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday nights tend to be both cheaper and have better availability (avoid Friday and Saturday nights like the plague!). For plays that run for 3+ weeks they tend to have preview shows for a couple of nights at the start of the run which tend to be cheaper. If there's anything you see at the WYP that you really want to see do check with me as I get comps for a lot of the shows and never use them!

Val said...

Having now seen it, it is an excellent production of a very well constructed and written play - and also intensly moving, making you reflect on mother/daughter relationships and the way expectations (and also opportunities)have changed over the years.
I'm still thinking about it.
Thanks!
p.s. I bought the 'Snog Boys' programme - as the programme seller said - I knew you'd go for that one!