Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Some Things...

Some Things...

I might have blogged about had my internet access not gone awol:

Live 8 - For the first couple of hours when the backstage presenters were all saying 'I hope the atmosphere's coming across' was it only me who felt that it really wasn't? At times I felt more atmosphere in my room as I sat, volume pumped up, singing along with my arms into the air. It was only when it got dark and the BBC decided to mic the crowd that we got some atmosphere. And I know I'm biased but Robbie - just how brilliant was 'Angels'? Many, many shades of brilliant. I just wish that they'd put REM on later; 'Everybody Hurts' was pretty spine tingling even with the lack of atmosphere that their early slot gained them. And the blue face paint? Weirdly entertaining. Also big ups to Travis for their Bee Gee thing (and just because I do love a bit of a Travis sing-along, complete with umbrellas in the crowd) and the Coldplay/Richard Ashcroft linkup for 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' (not only because it made me think of SSoB as it was our 'credits' music but because it was great to hear it live after a very long time). And yes, I did cry when the girl from the Live Aid footage came out on stage. However complicated the issue, Bob, Richard - I'll always love you for trying to do something about it. I may be a lone voice but I also liked 'I don't like Mondays'...

Wimbledon - I was only slightly miffed that the women's final overlapped spectacularly with Live 8. Not least because it was one of the best matches of the tournament. So good, I didn't know who I wanted to win. In contrast Federer is a machine. I do not approve.

My weird dreams - On Sunday night I dreamt I knocked my teeth out whilst on a children's railway which looked suspiciously like the one they have at the York Railway museum.

That, as of yesterday, I am officially unemployed. No trip to the Job Centre for my £44 this week though as I'm braving the re-organisation chaos at Daddy Furness's work on Thursday and Friday to do battle with their photocopier and franking machine. Consequently I get to save my meeting with the great unwashed of East Leeds until next week*.

Having expended lots of energy on some sections of Four Chords, I've settled for some less brain challenging re-writing of A Year In The Army (new title possibly needed). Nothing huge, just a bit of condensing and re-phrasing (with a new prologue that I'm secretly rather proud of) before I march on with it. Maybe not my magnum opus but if 'Join Me' could get published...

*Joke.

**Joke. I loved 'Join Me'. I'll be buying his 'Yes Man' book too.

No comments: