Monday, July 18, 2005

Lumos

Lumos

As Oxford doesn't have a graduation ball (don't feel too sorry for me, it has hundreds of other balls, with or without a Chesney Hawkes appearance) I had what I termed my Grad Ball on Saturday night. It may have been without ball dresses, dodgems and Mr Hawkes but it turned into an evening that I doubt will be easily forgotten. For all concerned. My problems chiefly started with the fact that I ended up pretty much drunk after Sangria at Oscars. By the time we'd hit the tequila stage at Evil Eye I was pretty much gone. And as I was wearing my cap and gown by this point it wasn't a subtle 'gone'.

Given that it managed to include a spectacularly spouting fountain, a wayward guitar, 'Wonderwall', champagne, Little Griffin photos, piggy backs, beds in bars and, naturally, a little bit of 'Bring It On' I'm going to have to share the story. And indeed some of the less embarrasssing photos.

But tonight, after typing up more than I have ever desired about building foundations, I'm tired. I'm also emotional but that has nothing to do with the typing and more to do with the fact that I've finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. If you've read it I'm not upset because of the obvious reason. Well maybe a bit. I'm more upset that Ms Rowling has taken the bottom out of her universe. Ok, maybe not as dramatic as that - but for me? Yes. And I'm not sure what to think. Over-analysing a children's book? Probably. But I can over-analyse Potter at length [if you're lucky I may share my whole Shakespeare/ Potter theory with you at some point*].

In reality I thought the book sagged a little bit in the middle - too much information had to be divulged in not too subtle a way it struck me - but when the story came together about 200 pages from the end. Woosh. End of seat, not wanting my lunchbreak to end stuff. Now though I guess I feel a little bit cheated. In my heart I still believe there's a twist to come. I've already concocted a theory. Of all the information that Rowling bombarded us with there's one piece that I'm dying to know that she didn't tell us. There's a why that Harry believes he has the answer to at the end that I don't think is true. Or maybe I don't want to think is true. But as I write all the clues seem to be pointing to something...ah, when did "children's books" become so complicated?

I did guess who the half-blood prince was, fairly early on in the book though [after an initial wrong turning] so I guess I'm getting better at reading the clues. Or maybe I just need to go out more.

*Maybe lucky is the wrong word.

5 comments:

billygean said...

I have also typed a lot about building foundations today. Try blogging at work, it'll cheer you up immensely.

Due to this, and the long hours, and the commuting, am only on page 190. Read til 2am too, its taking ages but I suppose this is a good thing. Will discuss it with you in a few days am sure.

PS. Share your theory dammit, I have one too!

Billygean said...

I finished it. Oh it is so tragic!

Nik said...

due to the whole being anal about book covers [i do not want the american cover!], i do not own a copy of said book, i do, however, own a green wristband with the date it came out on, harry potter style glasses, stickers, a poster, and sherlock holmes, wuthering heights and robinson crusoe in a 3 for 1 deal. xxx

Nik said...

due to the whole being anal about book covers [i do not want the american cover!], i do not own a copy of said book, i do, however, own a green wristband with the date it came out on, harry potter style glasses, stickers, a poster, and sherlock holmes, wuthering heights and robinson crusoe in a 3 for 1 deal. xxx

Nik said...

oops. glad to see i can still cause trouble from the other side of the world by accidentally posting twice ;)