Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Magic Carpets

Magic Carpets*

Now I have to confess that I'm not entirely a stranger to meeting people via the internet, the whole Griffin experience leading to the meeting of well over a hundred people, I'd imagine, who I first encountered on a website. A group of these have become people I communicate with in some form or another every single day and for whom the whole Griffin thing of the friendship's origins has become effectively non-existant in our relationships with one another. So the internet meeting malarky is rather old hat.

But, if I'd met people via a forum today provided a new experience in that I met someone via a blog. JP to be exact. In a search for new blogs to help feed my spiraling addiction I ended up looking for Oxford blogs* over on technorati, and happened to stumble into JP's. I left a comment and JP read just enough of over here to get an idea of me without reading so much that he got scared by the stalking, or the literary crap, or the drunken camping in whitby, or, did I mention it, the stalking. In the course of exchanging emails it was decided that meeting someone via a blog is something that everyone should do once in their life and thus we ended up having coffee in Blackwells this morning. And it was a very pleasant way to spend an hour as we exchanged housing crises and scout stories in the manner that only Oxford students can. It also dawned on me that, given JP's mindblowing workload, I really shouldn't be moaning about English here at St Anne's. I'm also insanely jealous that he's seen plays at the Watermill theatre.

After coffee I ended up perusing the realms of Blackwells, which is always going to be fatal. I ended up with a secondhand edition of Zadie Smith's Autograph Man and, rather momentously, the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2005. Does that make me officially a writer now that I've purchased it with with funds from my not-so-hard-earned overdraft? It certainly helps create the mindset. A little step towards properly taking the leap, maybe. Suddenly, as well as being incredibly scary, it all seems rather exciting.

*Even for me I confess this is an obscure title. It's a bit of publicity blurb from...well...something mentioned in this entry.

**Undoubtedly the most famous Oxford blog at the moment is this one. How long before its media coverage goes beyond the student press and into the world at large?

No comments: