Friday, June 10, 2005

Here's a little song...

Here's a little song...

Tonight I'll be dressing up [dress code: formal or flamboyant]* for English Schools Dinner. Which basically means it's an evening of free wine and free food for the 15 or so English/joint school finalists at St Anne's. Along with our tutors. So far, so civilised. Or at least until I received the following email from one of my tutors:

Just to say that if any of you feel like doing your party piece towards the end of tomorrow's dinner do feel free, and bring guitar, ventriloquist's dummy or whatever...

Now this brings us into a whole other area that I hadn't expected. Indeed the appearance of a ventriloquist's dummy was pretty much near the bottom of my list of possible manifestations of the evening**. Plus the whole nature of 'party pieces' is not, I'm quietly sure, an area that I necessarily want to go into with my tutors present. Especially when one of them has Paddy Marber round for tea on a regular basis.

Having given some serious thought to the issue it became apparent to me that my party pieces largely consist of the ability to play Griffin songs on the recorder, being able to quote entire episodes of Friends at will*** and knowing all of the words - and the dance - to 'Semi Charmed Life'. I feel the first one would be lost on the English Schoolers [not to mention that I don't have a recorder], the second one has pretty limited comedy value for anyone who wasn't equally obsessed with the show and I'm in the bind of knowing those at the dinner too well to unabashedly perform the third without shame but not knowing them well enough to revel in the brilliance of such an action. So, on balance, no party piece from me.

Having said all of this, it wouldn't be St Anne's if the evening didn't have a little hiccough, namely that the college kitchen had a gas leak during the night and the college is thus swarming with transco vans. As of lunch time there was no hot food as they couldn't use the kitchen. Consequently the possibility of us being given wine and salad is still very real.

*I suspect that I may be in the no man's land of not being formal enough but at the same time only verging on the edge of flamboyant.

**Ever since I stayed in Manchester after Griffin's single signing and my host produced a ventriloquist's dummy I haven't been able to label this as being the last thing that I'd expect.

***Sadly, this is also interchangeable for quoting Griffin's pond dip/subsequent conversation about glasses between him and Fox in the tortuous-reality-television-show. But I like to keep that quiet.

2 comments:

Nik said...

you could demonstrate your spectacular slip-over-in-a-fountain-and-bruise-the-whole-right-side-of-your-body, or is that party trick strictly reserved for my birthdays?! ;) xx

Anonymous said...

Not absolutely sure I am wise to admit to this, but got quite excited to see you had used hiccough instead of hiccup! You would not believe the disagreements I've had with people regarding that word... but hey, we all have our little idiosyncrasies.