Saturday, May 21, 2005

Footsteps

Footsteps

By Wednesday night I rather wanted to crawl into a hole. I was consumed with this all over, body aching tiredness. But I couldn't crawl into a hole because I had to revise more middle english. So I settled instead for copious amounts of coffee and chocolate.

I was vehmently hoping that Wednesday would prove to be the lowpoint as, otherwise, I couldn't see how I was going to get myself, in the midst of this exhaustion, to actually care about what I did in the exam. Thankfully when the alarm went off on Thursday morning the adrenalin had kicked in. That when I turned the paper over in Exam Schools and found to my relief that I could recognise both of the Troilus and Criseyde extracts and that they'd picked a section from Morte D'Arthur that I'd had a class on, suddenly everything didn't seem as bad as it had on Wednesday night. I wasn't going to have to start injecting caffine into my veins.

I've done my fair share of exams but I can honestly say that the past week has been the most stressful and exhausting of them all. Three years work all to be decided in a week and a half. And a week and a half when you have to wear silly clothing. Paddy Marber, himself an Oxford English alumni, said he still has nightmares about finals. I don't know if it's comforting that everyone at Oxford goes through this or terrifying that in fifteen years time I'm still going to wake up scared by the notion.

But before then, there's Austen to read, Byron to dissect and a Eurovision party to attend. And so the march continues.

1 comment:

Val said...

I'm glad that, in the midst of all of this, you've still managed to fit in a Eurovision party - the priorities of life have not been abandoned (lol)
xxx