Monday, April 04, 2005

Footfalls echo in the memory

Footfalls echo in the memory

I'm undoubtedly very, very late in blogging about this but - the new Dr Who, good eh? Undoubtedly the fact that I'm running so far behind this trend has more than a little to do with my still-slippy-and-as-yet-not-re-heeled cowboy boots which mean I'd struggle to keep up with a tortoise. But yesterday I ended up watching the first episode*. And Heat joke included, I rather liked it. Not at all scary, but quite camp. Now that's the sort of science fiction that I subscribe to.

Given that Dr Who finished in 1988, it's odd that the programme made enough of an impression on me at the time for me to remember sitting and watching the last series with my dad. And it's even odder when science fiction usually turns my head inside out. Which, all the horoscopes would agree, is strange because I'm an Aquarian and being an Aquarian means that they give you paid up membership to Sci-Fi Addicts Anonymous at birth. The brotherhood of wo-man and Star Trek appreciation seem to go hand in hand.

If I've never had the Sci-Fi Geek within emerge then I do have to confess to an Aquarian interest which probably goes hand in hand with geekhood. Time. I'm obsessed with time. I even have Corinne time, whereby none of my clocks are ever at the so-called-correct GMT. I can quote chunks of Eliot's Four Quartets** and his notions of time. I once had a fully fledged argument with a friend on why time is a human construct. And, as everyone knows, Dr Who's tardis is a time machine. Wooo. I think it was the astrologer Linda Goodman who said that if any one is going to create a time-machine then it's going to be an Aquarian. And she's bloody right.

*Yep, I know that the second episode's been aired. Maintaining my fashionably-late aura, I've still got that on tape to watch.

**I know that this betrays another kind of geekhood too, but then you already knew about that one. Or if not then I'm assuming that you've never read this blog before.

3 comments:

Nik said...

"We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams." - Jeremy Irons

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - Albert Einstein.

cat said...

time, memory... if you haven't already, you should read some Graham Swift (maybe not just yet though, finish that exam stuff first). Sweetshop Owner or Waterland (Jezza Irons was very good in a quite bad film of that) would be good places to start.

val said...

I love sci-fi! wait till you watch episode 2 - I defy you not to burst out laughing at one point. x