Saturday, March 26, 2005

A Girl Can Never Have Too Many...

A Girl Can Never Have Too Many...

Copies of Ben Jonson's plays.

I don't even particularly like Jonson*. I definitely didn't read much of his work the week that I was writing an essay on him**. But somehow, in the great scheme of things, I've acquired multiple copies of his plays. I don't know whether to be pleased at my second hand book buying or to despair when there's at least ten pounds spent on Ben which I didn't have the foresight in 2002 to realise I'd need in 2005 for my NYF.

So today I read comedies. Despaired at how many classical references I had to check. Used some more purple pen. And, most importantly, became amused by the title of Volpone - or the Fox. Never have so many years of scholarship dissapeared in a haze of purple pen and Fox giggles.

*He writes comedies. I don't find them funny. I think it's a barrier.

**In my defence I was producing a play the week that I had to write on Jonson. I came in after being in the pub with my actors, read one of his plays. Slept for four hours. Got up and wrote a two thousand word essay and took it to my 10 o'clock tutorial. And now I very much wonder how on earth I ever managed to do that.

4 comments:

Nik said...

i've read 'volpone'. *looks smug* took me ages to read it after a particular lecture which scared me to death and put me off reading it for about a month. if Fox had been giving the lecture, on the other hand... xxx

Val said...

I don't find his comedies funny either - you could say its the barrier of the years, but then, Shakespeare isn't like that.

Rosie said...

'Volpone' is rather tedious, but I did see a side splittingly hilarious RSC production of 'The Alchemist' at The Swan, Stratford, about 13 years ago.

Great Blog Corinne.

Rosie

Kate Allan said...

Volpone is fastastic. And then when I saw a fabulous production by the RSC a couple of years ago I wondered why the RSC don't do *more* Johnson. (I know they are the RSC and Shakespeare is rather good, but...)