Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Rocking [albeit whilst sitting down]

Rocking [albeit whilst sitting down]

Of the list of things which I love without reservation, The Bedford is without doubt near the top of the list. It's this wonderful Narnia-like pub in Balham, where you step through the door into what appears to be any normal pub but which upon your entry turns out to be something entirely different. Not quite the scale of Narnia I have to confess, but something along those lines. Were it not for the fact that it's a good two hours away from me even when I'm in Oxford I'd make it my local. If not for all of the great music that I've seen there, then for the fact that it has a space named the Globe, which resembles, as its name suggests, that of the theatre of the same name and which has a fabulously twinkly fairy-light backdrop in front of which all of the acts perform. I first went there back in June, to see Griffin do a gig, and I fell somewhat in love with the whole experience. Indeed I defy anyone to go there and not become enraptured with it.

The reason I'm waxing lyrical about The Bedford is that I went to see Riccardi play a forty minute set there last night and consequently ended up falling into bed some time around 3.45am this morning. Which isn't exactly conducive for a day when I've a tutorial it has to be said. But to return to Riccardi, the evening was rather wonderful. The band rocked [everyone always says this but there really is no other way to describe them, they rock] and I got to sit down in the midst of Narnia listening to them, albeit whilst trying to avoid ending up on either a video or audio recording. Nik also managed with quite some hilarity to create comedy promo material for SSoB, which led to a guy who once played keyboards when Riccardi backed Griffin asking if the play was taking place in Oxford Street. Unfortunately my reply was in the negative.