Thursday, February 17, 2005

Don't Call Us, We'll Call You

Don't Call Us, We'll Call You

Today I did something that I haven't done in a long time, I went to a theatre bid interview. Before anyone makes the obvious point as to what-the-heck I was doing in a theatre bid interview given looming finals, I should probably state that I'm on the bid as Associate Producer in order to bolster Cristina's chances of getting her play, Etrangere, on at the OFS next term. The extent of my involvement is to be solely advisory. And to make the bid look more solid as the OFS was something of my spiritual home as a Producer. Just no one mention this to any of my tutors, thank you very much.

So we went to the interview. And it went well. Really well. The thing which I feel that it will fall down to is whether the Manager is willing to take a risk with the play [it's very political and he seemed to have images of events at the Birmingham Rep circulating in his head]. Which is odd, because I've never bidded for a play where that is the case. Usually there's some other aspect, but this is down to the idiosyncratic choices of one particular man. So far his idiosyncratic choices have served me well, he was the person responsible for selecting which of the New Writing Festival plays was put on in his theatre and he chose mine [for which I may have to love him forever], but this one could go either way.

Possibly more pressingly, at the beginning of the interview I got slightly way-laid by the fact that he compared the situation to Pop Idol. My head was screaming 'I'm really, really glad you picked that particular reality tv show'.

No comments: