Monday, February 07, 2005

Coffee Cups and Washing Up

Coffee Cups and Washing Up

It's odd how quickly you settle into a routine. If I discount all the time during the Christmas Vac when I wasn't here then I've only lived in my house for 13 weeks. Which isn't, in the scheme of things, very long. It is long enough, though, to have settled nicely into something of a routine - albeit a routine which is randmonly interupted by Modern Language students queueing up for classes outside of my bedroom door [the college decided that they didn't have enough teaching room due to building work and decided to turn the room next door to me into a seminar room, which has amusement value if only for my seeing how loudly I can play Busted through the walls before someone comes and tells me to turn it off]. And in turn my two other housemates have a routine, so collectively we have our routine. This was until the arrival of New Housemate three weeks ago. New Housemate has a very different, and not yet compatible routine. He leaves his belongings all over the bathroom. He manages, through some super-human ability which I've never before encountered, to cover the kitchen in ground coffee every single evening. He plays his music at a level far beyong anything which I've managed to muster during the chorus of 'Air Hostess'. And, today, it emerged that the plates which I thought had dissapeared into the great Oxford triangle had taken up residence in his room, and are now festering away in the sink. And will be until I can't stand it any longer and wash them up myself. In short New Housemate has rather a lot to learn. And given that myself and the Linguist have already fallen victim to finals panic in the last week, his timing for learning everything is not exactly the best.

To quote a famous song, albeit massively out of context, there may be troubles ahead. Only this time with extra strength coffee thrown in.

No comments: