Friday, January 28, 2005

In the beginning...

I have to confess, before I go any further, that I have first act syndrome. This basically means that I can't write first acts for toffee. Or indeed for any other kind of sugar-filled sweet that might be on offer. It's probably a mark of this that when I write I tend to leave the beginning until last, until I've sensed what should go there. But I can't do that here [or I could but that would mean leaving a few ... where this entry should be but that would be cheating somewhat]. So in lieu of a proper beginning here are a few things which I might have arranged more coherently into a beginning if I had the skill.

1. Me.
Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Coza, 22 and a finalist at St Anne's College, Oxford University, where I've just realised that I'm actually supposed to be reading for a degree in English. After three and a half years it came as something of a shock.

2. Distant Aggravation.
Even I concede that it's an odd title. It's actually a phrase from what is fast becoming one of my all time favourite songs, 'More than Me'. The chances are that unless you're into your folk music and have somehow stumbled across the group Megson or are a fan of a guy named Alistair Griffin, you won't know the song. I'm sure I'll link to it at some point, but for now I will say that it's strikingly beautiful, and I've loved the distant aggravation phrase in particular for some time now:
Why should I lie?
A simple questioning goodbye

Means that no one hears your distant aggravation.

3. The Other Stuff
Until quite recently I'd intended to be a good girl and do my PGCE when I finished my degree. Then I got cold feet, which coincided, coincidentally or not, with a play I've written, Some Sort of Beautiful, being a finalist for the Cameron Mackintosh Award for New Writing, and it hit me that what I really wanted to do was write. So the teaching career's on the back burner, at least for the next few years after which I can become an embittered failed-writer style English teacher, whilst I attempt to, hopefully, actually make enough money to live on from writing. I'll have a MacDonald's application on standby just in case though. Some Sort of Beautiful gets its premiere in just under a month's time and I suppose part of my reason for starting this blog is that I want to be able to remember the experience.

If I lay aside writing and theatre then I suppose my other overwhelming hobby is, put in polite acceptable language, seeing a lot of gigs. It just happens that a lot of the gigs - though not all I would add as I do seem to have developed a bit of a fondness for live music in the past year - are by the same person. You know the guy who I dropped casually into the earlier paragraph? Alistair Griffin? Well, I'm a bit of a fan. There's a whole story on this one, not even to get on to his flatmate James Fox [he'll be last year's Eurovision entrant] or a band named Riccardi. Let's just say I'll keep you in suspense.

No comments: